Competition: FitBit With Friends

Competition is part of survival in nature, isn't it? The fastest lion catches the gazelle, which feeds the family. The best archer or swordsman is the one who gets the kingdom. The girl who fits the shoe can move on to better lifestyle, so they all try for the prize. We've been wrapped in competitive spirit from the minute we learn to walk among others, even as toddlers chasing older children.

Now, technology has taken this to the next level - The Fitness Tracking Band.

Members of this cultist society can be identified by their glowing rubber banded wrists or the more discreet ones have trackers tucked into their waistbands. They're constantly pacing, trying to rack up more steps. They volunteer to shovel snow and buy groceries because it will add to the day's total, hence push their weekly total above friends.The downside is that the comparison and 'cheer/taunt' features on the mobile apps add to the pressure and distortion.

When I first got my FitBit, I was concerned about feeling tied to a tracker, and giving up my personal secrets to an app. There's an awkward feeling of being leashed to an app. It's almost a year now and I have definitely become more aware of being sedentary at work. I've started propping my laptop and mouse onto boxes, so I could stand during conference calls. Clients and colleagues raise their eyebrows at first, but they're used to it. Behind my closed office door, I walk around more and try to dance a little to keep moving. I feel the benefits immediately in my back and shoulders, when I'm not hunched over my laptop for hours.During the summer, I took some calls on my cell phone as I walked around the building and parking lot.

My husband is quite competitive and I told him immediately that he's not going to check my scores or be friends online. In fact I just accepted FitBit friend requests two weeks ago, at the insistence of others who said the friendly competition was inspiring.

In the end, the competition is between myself: the person I was yesterday, the person I am today and the person I am tomorrow should be proud.

I need to challenge my own steps and maintain the level of activity to get to my goals. That's fabulous you're marking 25,000 steps a day. However, I need to push myself to make sure each day I'm not sitting in front of the computer and end up with less than 3,000 by 5pm. I can be down on the day I mark really low steps, but it's up to me to reconcile "why are my steps so low today?" I may have reasons such as weather, family responsibilities, or illness deterred me. Or it may have been a day when I found more excuses than motivation to go to the gym. I need to find my own drive to get to gym or wake up early for a workout before work. 

If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it, did it make a sound?

If I run for 30 minutes and my FitBit battery is uncharged and doesn't record anything, did I really benefit? YES! But, this logical concept gets lost sometimes when we're focused on the numbers. This is a jab at the side effects of getting consumed in the wrong areas of competition and fitness tracking.

Competition is normal and it does force one to be a better person and try new things. It's a bit of a dance with Ego and Insecurity - if this person can do it, so I can do it.. and I can do it better! I've been inspired by competitive spirit to change careers and ride roller coasters, overcoming my own fears with the drive to be better. However, we need to keep our sensibilities and not get emotional or tie our identities to the numbers our friends see. We judge each other on so many levels - let's lose one.

Not the only one. 

Check out an essay by David Sedaris in the New Yorker "Stepping Out". As always, he cracked me up!



Comments