Transitioning to Spring

In order to be true to the mission of my Pandemic Diaries, I need to reflect on where I am during this period of transition, and where we are collectively. After all, we have all learned now how connected we all are.

The Covid Winter

We had a lot of snow in the northeast this year. January and February was just storm on top of each other. Just felt like we were always shoveling – taking a break from work at 3pm to go outside. Then we came back for hot coffee.

Looking at the small green and pink buds on the trees now, it just reminds us that there is a spring coming.

 Vaccine Rollout

It is April 2021 and in the US, we are in the home stretch. Some of us have been vaccinated, some of us are still in isolation in homes and some of us are suffering under the fists of Covid. As I write this today, I am praying for the recovery of a young man who is struggling to breathe in the hospital. It’s easy to forget why we are doing this as we watch politicians announce the states are “open for business” while others advise us to proceed with caution. We’ve been getting carried away with stepping out into our freedom. We are at a yellow light phase, not totally green.

The vaccination rollout has been difficult, and I knew this would be. I commented on this in my May 31, 2020 post: What about directing labs to create a unified approach to vaccine research and medicines for the complications? Is anyone planning on how to distribute the vaccine when it's established? Who gets it first?

I wish there had been a federal guideline and rollout plan. Every state, every county seemed disconnected and it’s been difficult to get registered and find appointments. People shared information and tried to help those who could not navigate the systems. There were a lot of people who “cut the line, “ which was frustrating when elderly were still seeking appointments. However, we shouldn’t be looking at those people with judgement – they actually found loopholes in the system and took them. In the long run, the more people vaccinated, the better it is for the whole.

Saying the Quiet Part Out Loud

This quarantine revealed for us our true selves – I’m actually a house cat. I love pattering around my house, making crafts, reorganizing my jewelry and closets. I love trying to make new meals for my family so Saturday nights could be just as fun as going out. I enjoyed going through Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and Disney and tagging shows to my list – and actually watching them. I started a bullet journal to keep track of the movies and shows we watched. I wish I had started this earlier!

I’m quite content not reverting to our intense social schedule. We realize which friends we missed and which ones we were fine without. Many people I’ve spoken to are re-evaluating relationships whether it’s within their family or friends. 

I thought I'd have more time - finish my projects, lose weight and fit into those outfits I bought last year during online sales when I was just scrolling around. I've got to learn how to use all the eye shadows and concealers that I bought after watching TikTok testimonials. In fact, I need to do another closet overhaul because I've learned more about organizing. 

I've also forgotten how to entertain. We did invite a few friends over and it was a little hectic for me to remember where all my extra dishes and platters are. I had vowed to use more of the items in my basement on a regular basis. Stop waiting for those special occasions. 

 We are not out of the Covid woods yet, so we do need to take it slow. I don't know if and when my gym will open up. But this summer we can continue to take walks and explore new trails. 

I've thought about going back to my office, which has always been open for business. However, there's only a few people who work there and I do have my own office to shut the door. But, I've stepped into a more relaxed routine with my work. I rise much later since I'm not running to the gym and office. I shower, do my 10-minute yoga practice, consume hot ginger and fennel drink by 10... make my coffee and breakfast by 11 or so. Join my husband for lunch in between our meetings. Possibly take a nap at some point if the schedule allows and my body needs it. With that said, I do miss my big office desk and printer.

It will be some time before we go back to the world we had before. However, we can understand better what we value and what we can do without.


 

 

Comments