Visions of 2022

I was hoping my series would’ve ended in 2021, but it seems I do need to turn a new page into my Pandemic Diaries in January 2022. We're in such a weird place again. 

Last summer and fall, we were out and about with precautions. Going to a party - is everyone vaccinated? Cool. Going to an indoor restaurant or event - got your mask? Cool. We were opening and it was feeling normal again. We enjoyed more outdoor gatherings than we have before. We traveled. People had weddings.

In the northeast US, we have the Omicron virus everywhere. When you talk to friends and family, you find out everyone in various inner circles has tested positive. Fortunately, everyone I interact with has been vaccinated so the symptoms are mild or non-existent. Generally, everyone is good about quarantining. 

Man, 2 years ago if you told someone to sit tight in your house for 5 days, they would've protested like anything. Now there's so much understanding and acceptance. I'm also fortunate that a lot of people I know have been able to work remotely or manage through this. 

However, I need to say that we are at 865,000 deaths in the US. That's not just a number. There are names and lives behind all of those. For every one person, there's a family in mourning. Last year we consoled friends and family as we lost dear ones.

That's the thing - Delta is still out there, as well as the Omicron. We have reduced our socializing and businesses are asking people to wear masks. The testing situation is kinda out of control, but I think in the past few weeks it's been getting better slowly. The division and misinformation is still happening. We have a friend who did get his vaccines, though he protests about the mandates and sends out Joe Rogan videos. That's fine, Boo.. as long as you got it and can protect others. I'm not a medical person but from my understanding, viruses want to thrive. As long as it can find some vulnerable spots, it can mutate and become stronger. 

Now, it's January and we are making plans for the spring and summer. But, right now, they say there's going to be a lot of Arctic chills this winter. That’s fine since we're just planning to stay in as much as we can. I’m such a homebody – love my woolen shawls and warm booties to pad around the house.

On a personal note, last October to December was a season of upheaval and change. There were some family health scares, but it turned out well. Also, I finally left my company after 20 years and joined a new one - ready for excitement and new adventures. I’ve been trying to leave for the last 10 years, but I was not able to find the right opportunity; I told myself that I am where I needed to be. The true transition point for me started in Jan of 2020 - when the universe was shaking me out of my comfort zone. It kicked me in the butt that June to make sure I moved.

Now I look back and see lessons in all that happened and the beauty of the timing. If the person I was in 2020 was doing the job I have now in 2022, she would’ve been a mess. Instead, I had a quiet period where I understood to focus on myself and my own growth. I learned so much at that time, that I began to outgrow where I was. It was time to expand. I actually explored this particular position in February, but there were no openings. My summer was spent in hours of preparation and work for tough interviews, which only led to humbling rejections. When I approached this company again in September, everything fell into place. It made me realize that when something is right - be it a job or relationship - it won't be so hard.

They say when things don't go our way, it's to teach us a lesson. The hardest part is patience. As a society – a human collective, I hope the pandemic, the subsequent lock downs and isolation, and even the heartaches and grief will take us to a place where we need to be. As we are amid this, nothing makes sense; we are enduring one moment to the next. If we look deeper, there have been indicators of progress. Artists and creatives are talking about work they did at home. Many independent businesses have been launched. Lives are going in different directions. And even if you don’t have a major change in your life, you realize laughter warms your body a certain way. You realize you want to hug another a little deeper. We smile and enjoy the everyday moments that we missed before.

Every year on New Year’s Eve, at midnight, when everyone is giddy with excitement, I’m always filled with such hope and expectation for the new year. I know this year will be one where we will need strength and patience. But, there will be joy too.

 

 

Comments